The Bank of Ireland on College Green today occupies the building that was once home to the Parliament of Ireland. Over what is now a financial institution, the Lion and the Unicorn still gaze over the city. The Royal Coat of Arms, it has become a less frequent sight in the city since independence, and in 1938 authorities even sought to remove it from buildings for fear it could be targeted by those keen to erase any trace of imperial history from the streetscape.
The Royal Coat of Arms on College Green (Wiki Commons)
Staring at the Royal Coat of Arms across the street is an easily missed carved representation of Hibernia herself. Above the premises of Abercrombie and Fitch, she sits there alongside a harp, an Irish wolfhound and the immortal words ‘Éire Go Bragh’. Brendan McKeon’s image on Flickr, available to view here, does more justice to…
View original post 765 more words